Saturday, March 7, 2009

A whale of a day...

Chris and I went fishing yesterday. We headed out to Whidbey Island at about noon and fished until dark. We caught five silvers between the two of us in the first 10 minutes we were on the beach and then, like a faucet, it just shut off. We were a little disappointed because we didn't catch anything the rest of the day! It was a zoo out there though, literally a Zoo. We saw eagles, osprey, a ton of seals, crabs, porpoise, a small shark that had washed up on the beach, and for the grand finale - A GRAY WHALE!!!! I was too slow to catch it on film. It came up twice. The first time it surfaced I only heard it and saw the spout falling back onto the water. I yelled at Chris and pointed in the direction that I had seen the spout and another one came up! We didn't see them again. It was an awesome day to say the least.


These photos were taken on a whale watching tour a few years ago only a few miles from where Chris and I saw the whale (or whales) yesterday. I did not even realize it until I looked back at these photos but we were fishing the same coastline that is in the top photo.



Baby Island is only accessible by foot at extreme low tide. This looked like white sand from a distance...


it is actually broken shells..

A look back toward Whidbey Island from Baby Island. We waded out there during a falling tide...

A shot of Chris "makin' it happen"...


This water is waste deep and unbelievably clear...


A few shots at sunset...


All smiles!




After all of the adventure, this was the best part of my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment